Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Leaving Asia - Starting on a new path

Well, the time has come. It is just hours until I take off in an airplane headed for Uzbekistan and then Rome, Italy. It's been a wild 14 months that I've spent jumping around Asia and I've really enjoyed my time, even with the craziness that it has brought.

I'm actually feeling very nervous but also excited about this next step in my life, becoming a permanent traveler. I can't quite put it into words, how this all feels. Some people say they 'get it' but I'm not sure most people do. It's such an humbling experience, packing everything you own into two backpacks and giving everything that doesn't fit away. Do I really need that 5th pair of shoes? How many pairs of underwear will I really want to have. Which mementos from my time in Asia will I take with me, of the hundred of pictures my students have drawn to random papers that I seem to collect?

These past 2 months I have been traveling solo have been really hard and life changing at the same time. Truly understanding what it means to be on my own, not having anyone or anything to answer to except for me. No work, no significant other, no parents (sorry Mom...), I can get a tattoo (check), I can get smashed on Khao San Street in Bangkok (check), I can buy a one way ticket to another continent (check) and I can just vegetate in my room for 3 days at a time (check). It's all up to me and it is a breath of fresh air that is terrifying to take.

Well, those are my thoughts on the subject as I'm sitting here waiting for a bus to take me to the airport. By the way, Uzbekistan Airlines has really cheap flights from Bangkok to Rome. Hopefully I'll get a good story out of these plane rides.

View of North Phnom Penh from Phnom Oudong, Cambodia

No comments:

Post a Comment