Monday, December 9, 2013

What is Love?


"Baby don't hurt me, don't hurt me… no more"


Well I've fallen in love again, twice! There is something so special about Southeast Asia, I don't know how to describe it. I traveled around Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia for about 4 weeks and it was such an amazing and humbling experience. Each country has a unique feeling that I am excited to explore again and again as I have moved back here.

Cambodia holds a special place in my heart and is definitely my first love. It's so beautiful, dirty, loud, disorganized and amazing. The people are what really makes this my love though. They are some of the nicest people that I have ever met. They have such a compassionate and giving spirit, even though they have been through so much and have so little. I felt such a pull towards this place, from the moment I stepped on its soil back in June. I am so happy to be back and experiencing this place in a different way, as an Expat resident, as opposed to a 1 month visitor.



My 2nd love is definitely my kids at the school that I teach at now. I am a second grade teacher and get to teach all subjects, in English. These are the smartest children I have ever met, in addition to being the cutest things I have ever met. They spend 1/2 a day learning in English. 1/2 a day learning either Khmer or Chinese. Some speak all three languages!  They are all so inquisitive and have a MILLION questions. I spent 45 minutes on Friday (when we should have been playing games) answering questions about black holes and space. It was the best teaching experience of my life so far.

So my advice to everyone is to be open to new experience and don't be afraid to fall in love. You can love many things and many people. Each love is different and special. Treasure what you have!

No comments:

Post a Comment